July 29, 2010

Sonja's Solutions

Hi guys, I would like to introduce you to one of my best friends from school, who will now be writing about affordable beauty products! So without further ado...



Hi everyone, my name is Sonja. I’m a sophomore at Syracuse University, originally from Colorado. Aryn is one of my three gorgeous roommates, and she asked me if I’d like to write a beauty post on her blog -- of course I jumped at the opportunity and am so excited to start writing for Frugal Fashionista!

I’m only writing once a month, so I’d like to review two or three products in each blog. Since this is a blog about frugality, and I do happen to be a broke college student, I’ll most likely be reviewing drugstore cosmetics, and discount designer finds that I happen to come across each month. Let’s get started!

When I arrived at SU, my biggest complaint was acne. It’s hard to meet new people with confidence when you can’t shake the feeling you look like a pizza face! There are no one-size-fits-all solutions to healthy skin, but hopefully this will give you some ideas about ways to whip up a skin care regimen that works for you.

Two times a day (immediately after I wake up, and 30 minutes before bed) I wash my face with Clinique Liquid Facial Soap in Mild (http://www.clinique.com/product/CATEGORY14110/PROD9552/3_step/Step_1_Cleanse/index.tmpl) $15 buys you the 8 oz. Size. The formula doesn’t dry out my skin, but never leaves oil or makeup residue behind.

Next I pat Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion all over my face and neck, and rub the remainder onto my chest (it ages faster than you think!). The 4.2 oz bottle costs $24. Maybe a little on the pricey side, but if you’re going to buy one thing from the Clinique skin care line, this should be it. http://www.clinique.com/product/CATEGORY14112/PROD3304/3_step/Step_3_Moisturize/index.tmpl?cm_vc=XCATEGORY14112


At night time, after cleansing, I alternate between using Mario Badescu’s Whitening Mask, and Burt’s Bees Pore Refining Scrub.

I can’t say enough good things about the Whitening Mask http://mariobadescu.com/whitening-mask. It leaves skin moisturized and rejuvenated, and began fading my acne scars after about two and a half weeks. It probably would have been effective faster if I had followed the directions better, and applied a thinner layer to my face, and then rinsed (not scrubbed) off the mask when it was completely dry; I guess I got a little mask-happy. After rinsing, my skin retains enough moisture from the treatment to go un-moisturized for the night. The 2 oz. container will hit you with a $24 bill on the Mario Badescu website, but the brand pops up frequently on sample sale sites like Gilt.com and HauteLook.com for about 20% less.



On nights when I’m not using Mario’s services, I turn to Burt (of Burt’s Bees, of course) for a healthy exfoliation. Burt’s Pore Refining Scrub with salicylic acid and willow bark (http://www.drugstore.com:80/products/prod.asp?pid=218833&catid=15274) has actually reduced the look of the size of the pores on my cheeks, and has left the rest of my face a little brighter. I’ve even seen fewer breakouts in my trouble areas. After using the scrub, I feel free to neglect moisturizing for the night, because the formula combined with a moisturizer might leave my skin too oily.

That’s it for me this time. Good luck finding your perfect skin care routine! Next time I’ll talk about makeup, and how to make your beautiful face stand out from this fall’s blush-colored clothes trend.

Love,
S

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Sonja for a lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know you two blogged!!! lovely post
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Mario Badescu products! I, too, suffer from zits and their drying mask is awesome! Thank you for sharing the products you use. It's always helpful reading reviews. :)

    ♥ Teresa ♥

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.